Permanent Link to this posting:
The issue that was being debated at the time Vice Mayor Griffith moved to put a motion to censure CM Meyering on the agenda was related to a garbage collection contract. In the debate on the censure motion, Councilman Whittum alluded to issues that have arisen in other cities related to garbage collection. Cf: http://calpensionsbrief.blogspot.com/2013/05/censure-of-pat-meyering-cc-members.html
Here are a few items related to crime and garbage collection:
1. YouTube - Smithsonian Institute - 2 minutes on Mafia control of garbage collection in NYC:
"Trashopolis - Waste Disposal Means Mafia"
2. "Waste Management World" - Article (2013) starting with "Twelve members of three New York crime families have been charged with
racketeering conspiracy in the waste industry after multi-year
investigation. ... A further 17 defendants are facing charges." Contains 3 links to articles detailing similar problems around the world.
3. "Waste Management World" - Article (2012) titled: "Crime Magnet: New Jersey's Waste & Recycling Industry"
4. Waste management company "Service Corporation of America" and it's crime connections are outlined in the Wikipedia article here:
5. Slate magazine article: "Why the Mafia Loves Garbage"
6. A discussion on the issue here:
7. Chicago Tribune - 1986
"The grand jury alleged Kelley received at least $6,500 of a $10,000 payoff to help Waste Management obtain an option to purchase property"
8. Small town of Forsyth (pop 3800)