- LA: pop 3.8M, annual budget $7.2B - Since 2008 cut civilian workforce from 14,000 to 9,000 - huge cuts to the police and fire departments, cutting the Recreation and Parks Department. http://cao.lacity.org/budget12-13/2012-13Budget_Summary.pdf , and http://cao.lacity.org/budget/
- San Diego: pop 1.3M. annual budget $2.8B - severe cuts to public/higher education sectors, fire engine cutbacks, etc. http://www.sandiego.gov/fm/annual/fy12/index.shtml
- San Jose: pop 971,000, annual budget $2.8B - http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/7230
- - annual budget $9.6B including $3.2B in Federal fundshttp://www.dcfpi.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Whats-In-the-Final-FY-2012-Budget-Updated.pdf
- Baltimore, MD: pop 620,000, annual budget $2.7B - (very hard to find the actual budget numbers in city reports). Implemented rotating fire company closures; shortened library hours and the swimming pool season; cut funding for an array of services, including park maintenance, street lighting, median mowing, cable television, and the 311 call center; and abolished more than 1,000 positions. The City also deferred $7 million in contributions to the Affordable Housing Fund and reduced Motor Vehicle Fund capital spending from $60 million to zero. http://finance.baltimorecity.gov/PublicInformation/DocumentsReports.aspx and Citizens Guide to the Fiscal 2012 Budget
Lists 10 CA cities in "distress". Includes San Jose, Oakland, & Fresno.
Adds Honolulu, HA; NYC, NY; and Chicago IL to the mix.